Pages

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Some cool Logic Studio tips

I got into Logic Audio back at version 3.5!!!  I had the PC version hooked up to my Roland Juno 60 (with the Midi converter box) and my Akai S3000XL.  Ah yeah!  Using Recycle to send samples to my S3000 changed my life.  As a nerd, I was always interested in figuring out how to do cool things with the software, and as an artist, I was always looking for ways to avoid having my music released into the world.  So over the years I've picked up some cool tricks.  It blows me away how much easier everything is now than it used to be.  MIDI mastery seems like a thing of the past for the most part.  Anyway here are some of my favorite tips that are still very relevant.  FWIW my set-up now is just an MBP Intel Core Duo and a Novation Remote 25 SL.  That's it.  Everything else is just plugins and Logic Studio.

These are probably 2 of the more useful Logic Audio tricks that I like to share with my fellow Logic heads.  Ok make that 3.  There is always so much more to learn about this program!  I like sharing these kinds of tips so that people can benefit from the countless hours I've spent procrastinating making music, learning about arcane (or not so arcane) features, so they have no excuse but to focus on making more music!

  • Using Quick Automation Access in Logic 8 (mostly applies to Logic 7 too). This is the single greatest thing since sliced bread. If you don't have a Mackie Control or that new super awesome controller that is $1,500, you can use this trick so that ANY automation parameter can be assigned to a midi controller of your choice, such as the mod wheel on your keyboard! This alone will change your life. Only bummer of course is that you can only change one param at a time. My Remote SL lets me change basic stuff like volume, mute, pan, simiultaneously, but I'm too lazy to set it up in some hackish way to control other stuff, so I actually use this technique because it is down and dirty and lets you focus on the music instead of controller templates. I have gotten great results this way, though I still lust after a Mackie control which I think you can get new for like $600 now (the old school HUI-ish one that was the original Logic control anyway).
  • Using the multiple output feature of EXS24 (Logic 5 I think even had this).  This feature is slightly more obscure and allows you to send each individual sound to its own unique output in EXS.  This technique works for any AU plug-in that supports multi-out, such as Kontakt, Guru, Battery, Guru, etc.
  • Assigning Aux tracks and other non-normal tracks to arrange.  This allows you to manage the automation data for those cool new Aux tracks you created on your multi-instrument outs!  I think this also applies to Bus tracks as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment